Do you understand how culture shapes an individual's sexual health and decision-making?
- A Core Competency in the Prevention of Sexually Transmitted and Blood-Borne Infections (STBBIs)
One of the sexual health educators at your agency comes to a staff meeting and says she isn't sure she is adequately addressing the sexual health issues raised by high school students who represent a diversity of Canadian and international cultures and immigration experiences. How could you help your colleague better address the sexual health concerns of her culturally diverse high school audience?
Do you work in the area of sexual health or STBBI prevention and support? Do you understand how culture shapes an individual's sexual health and decision-making?
Use the questions below to help you self-assess your knowledge, skills, attitudes and practices related to culture and sexual health decision-making. Remember that depending on your role, you may require different levels of proficiency for the various core competencies and it is possible that some of the competencies are not relevant to your work.
- In what ways does your upbringing, values, beliefs and culture affect your work in STBBI prevention?
- Do you have a good understanding of the history, experiences, cultural values and cultural diversity of the populations you serve?
- The colonization of First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples has negatively affected their health and wellbeing and, in turn, their risk of STBBIs. What are some of these risk factors and how can health or social service organizations address them?
- How do you think cultural values and beliefs affect gender roles and sexual decision-making?
- Factors Impacting Vulnerability to HIV and other STBBIs, CPHA, 2014
- Cultural Competency and Safety: A Guide for Health Care Administrators, Providers and Educators, NAHO, 2008
- HIV Prevention Guidelines and Manual: A Tool for Service Providers Serving African and African Caribbean Communities Living in Canada, by L. James, African and Caribbean Council on HIV/AIDS in Ontario and Women's Health in Women's Hands Community Health Centre, 2006
- Hepatitis C, Hepatitis B, and HIV in High-Risk Immigrant Ethnic Communities, Canadian Ethnocultural Council, 2014
This is one of a series of cases on the core competencies for STBBI prevention. View all 26 cases on the core competencies for STBBI prevention.
Have a resource to suggest? Let us know.